Friday 19 August 2011


My name is Sinéad Jennings. I'm a mother of an 8 month old girl, partner, athlete and medical doctor. For the next 12 months I will be trying to balance these things while preparing for the London 2012 Olympic Games in the woman’s 3km team pursuit.  
People know me better as a rower. I competed for Ireland for 10 years and in 2001 I became the first Irish woman to win the world rowing championships.
My rowing career reached its natural conclusion in 2008 after I won a silver medal at the world championships. I was denied the opportunity of qualifying for the Beijing Olympics by the national rowing federation and left the sport disheartened. My dream of competing at the Olympics looked destined to remain a dream. That all changed after a chance meeting with the national cycling coach who was testing potential athletes to build a track cycling team. I tested, the numbers were encouraging and the women’s 3 kilometre track team was born.
9 months later my baby girl was born too and people assumed the dream was over. It was December 2010, less than 2 years to the games and less than 10 months before the first qualifying race and I had a beautiful newborn in my arms. I had trained throughout the pregnancy but hadn't cycled for 4 months, I had weight to lose, a baby to rear and a team to make and no idea if I could do it. I was also  a scared new mum.  She is 8 months old now and I'm still making it back. It's a tough road that could lead to the fulfilment or bitter disappointment. We will find out.
In the next 12 months I'll be spending time away from my family, doing over 1000 hours on the bike, lifting innumerable weights. There will be lonely times, excitement, injury and illness, disappointment, nerves and ultimately success. I hope you will come with me.
Sinéad
August 19th 2011

1 comment: